The Hill Library in Strafford, NH is seeking an outgoing, organized and experienced leader to fill the position of Library Director. Strafford is a growing rural residential community of about 4,000 residents in the Rochester/Dover area just north of Portsmouth, NH. The library has recently completed interior renovations, greatly expanding the Children’s and Young Adult areas. The Board of Trustees and the Strafford Friends of the Library are engaged and supportive of the Staff’s efforts to provide 21st Century library services to all Strafford residents. You will lead that effort.
The Director is the front-line person in creating a welcoming environment for all ages. They are expected to be comfortable working closely with library patrons, town administrators, the Board of Trustees and community service organizations including the Friends. Excellent oral and written communication skills and a service-oriented attitude are required. A ready smile and sense of humor will be useful.
The Library Director exercises considerable judgment in making administrative decisions including personnel, public relations, collection development, budget preparation and oversight, program creation & implementation and supervision. The Library Director, who works 20 hours per week and reports to an elected Board of Trustees, provides leadership to 5 part-time staff and numerous volunteers. This is a growth position.
The Library Director serves as the spokesperson for the library to the community and represents the library in interactions with town officials.
- A minimum of three years of public service management experience required;
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree in Library Science or a related field is preferred; and,
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrated proficiency with technology are required.
- Ability to communicate effectively and maintain positive working relationships with the Board of Trustees and all library stakeholders;
- Knowledge of management principles and public library administration including budgeting, organization, personnel, and public relations;
- Strong proficiency with library management systems (Atriuum), accounting software (QuickBooks) and the full MSOffice Suite;
- Promote the Library through proven creative agility with smart devices and social media platforms;
- Ability to supervise the Library’s collection development, including the selection and withdrawal of books, periodicals, audio-visual and electronic materials; and,
- Ability to multi-task and provide quality customer service is essential.
$18 – $23/hour commensurate with experience.
Please submit a thoughtful letter of interest, your resume and three reference contacts (two of which must be professional) to Library Search Committee, PO Box 130, Strafford, NH 03884 or email to: Director@metrocast.net. Electronic submission is preferable. Review of applications will continue through August 9, 2017; the position will remain open until filled. The Town of Strafford is an equal opportunity employer.